Ferryville, Wisconsin

Bill saved his money and bought a piece of property (5 acres?) near Prairie du Chien. (Our friend Dick told me it was in Ferryville, 23 miles north of Prairie du Chien). He drove up and camped there whenever he could, even in the dead of winter. Eventually (1987) he quit his job in Chicago, bought a trailer and moved out there. He held a job at a nursery nearby.

I don't remember what he did with the chicken. I can't imagine Bill killing and eating his own chicken. He also had a koi pond. Life there was not easy for him but he was happy.




Bill's plan was to save up enough money to build a small cabin. I jumped on the opportunity and designed one for him. Here, the architect presents the model.

In summer of 1989, Marge, Bill (dad), John and I visited Bill. Mom and dad stayed at a local motel (with a/c) while John and I stayed in Bill's oven-like trailer. Bill did not make a single complaint about the heat or our complaining.

On the way back, mom and dad won't speak to each other and John had excruciating pain. He went to the emergency room next day and was hospitalized for a week for blood clot.

No comments:

Post a Comment